Laser Treatment. Fotona LightWalker/LANAP
Non-Surgical Gum Treatments
Advancements in dental technology over the years have made treatment much easier for patients and dentists alike. Thanks to Dr. Gromov’s years of experience and training, you don’t have to worry about receiving uncomfortable gum treatment that includes a long healing process. We offer non-invasive LANAP Laser Treatments to stop the progression of gum infections without surgery.
Learn more about laser gum treatments by exploring our guide below.
What Is Gum Disease?
Periodontal (gum) disease is an infection in your gums caused by excess plaque and tartar.
- Plaque is a thin film of bacteria that forms on the surfaces of your mouth. It’s caused by bacteria left from food, beverages, mucus, and smoke.
- Tartar is hardened, built-up plaque that sits on your teeth for an extended period and causes pockets to form between your teeth and gums.
Pockets in the gums give bacteria a place to flourish, causing uncomfortable infections. The infection also weakens the connective tissue that keeps your teeth comfortable in their sockets.
The symptoms of gum disease include:
- Swollen, painful, red gums
- Frequent gum bleeding
- Loose and shifting teeth
- Longer-appearing teeth
- Persistent bad breath
While some of these effects start as small annoyances, they can quickly develop into permanent damage. Contact our office immediately if you’re experiencing any of the above symptoms.
How Laser Gum Treatments Work
LANAP laser treatments are advanced medical lasers that remove infected tissue without surgery and provide a variety of other gum procedures. These lasers are incredibly accurate, allowing our dentist to remove only infected tissue without surgery or sutures. Along with our dentist’s expert training, these tools are a state-of-the-art solution for gum problems.
The Benefits of Laser Gum Treatments
Our dentist is proud to provide this advanced laser treatment because it provides several advantages over traditional scaling and root planing for gum disease, including the following:
- Less pain — We can remove inflamed tissue without sharp tools that disturb the healthy parts of your gums.
- Disinfectant — Our lasers simultaneously help heal your gums while killing bacteria on your teeth and gums.
- No sutures — Lasers help us avoid cutting and sewing your gums to remove infected tissue and decrease gum pockets.
- Shorter healing time — Less pain and swelling following your procedure helps your healing process go smoothly.
The Laser Gum Treatment Process
Our Fotona LightWalker lasers take just one appointment to rid your mouth of bacteria and infection. We’ll first take a close look at your gums to identify the darker, infected tissue. Then, we’ll expose only the inflamed portions and your teeth to stop the spread and progression of your infection. The laser then seals your gums to help keep bacteria from hiding between your gums and teeth.
We can also use our industry-leading technology to stimulate gum growth, along with a cosmetic procedure called crown lengthening. Our dentist will recommend the best laser procedure for your needs during your appointment at Specialty Smiles.
Laser Treatment Aftercare
Your healing time depends on several factors, including the intensity of the laser, the extent of your procedure, and your medical history. Therefore, Dr. Gromov will provide you with specialized aftercare instructions.
You’ll typically want to follow these guidelines to help your body heal:
- Avoid crunchy, chewy, hot, sugary, and spicy foods.
- Lightly brush your teeth with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss once daily, making sure to avoid snapping the floss down forcefully onto your gums.
- Take any antibiotic medications as prescribed.